Cancelling Pensions and Benefits


What to Cancel

1) Old Age Security (OAS) and Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

When an OAS and CPP beneficiary dies, these benefits must be cancelled.  Benefits are payable in the month in which death occurs; benefits received after that will have to be repaid.

This includes the following benefits:

  • OAS Pension including
  1. Guaranteed Income Supplement
  2. Allowance
  3. Allowance for the survivor
  • CPP Retirement Pension
  • CPP Disability Benefits
  • CPP Children’s Benefits
  • CPP Survivor Benefits

Cancelling these Benefits:

Contact Service Canada as soon as possible to notify them of the date of death of the OAS and CPP beneficiary.

When calling Service Canada, have beneficiary’s SIN card available.

If you are notifying Service Canada by mail include the following:

  • Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Date of Death
  • SIN
  • Previous Address
  • Name and address of the estate of the person responsible for handling deceased affairs


Returning Benefit Payments

If payments were received by cheque, please mail cheques received after month of death to:

Cheque Redemption Control Directorate
Returned Cheques
PO Box 2000
Matane QC  G4W 4N5

If payments were received by Direct Deposit, bank can return cheques back to the originator.


2) Employment Insurance Benefits

If the deceased had not applied for benefits, the legal representative must do the following, in the name of the deceased:

  • Apply for benefits in the name of the deceased person
  • Complete the form Request for Payment of Benefit on Behalf of a Deceased Person
  • Provide death certificate, certificate

Cancelling EI benefits

If the deceased person was receiving EI Benefits before death, the legal representative must complete Request for Payment of Benefit on Behalf of a Deceased Person


Overpayments of EI after death

If EI benefits are paid after the death of someone in your family, the legal representative must repay the overpayment by making a cherub or money order to the Receiver General for Canada and sending it to the nearest overpayment recovery office.

Cancelling Personal Identification:

1) Passport- Return the Passport to Passport Canada with a copy of the death certificate and a letter indicating whether the passport be destroyed or returned back to you.

2) Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) - Citizen and Immigration call center (see attached paper)

3) Permanent Resident Card- (CIC) – Cancelling permanent resident card

4) Secure Certificate of Indian Status- (SCIS) – Contact Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada

Phone – 1-800-567-9604